Allylestrenol Tablets come under the brand name “ALYZON-5” and belong to the category of a synthetic progesterone female hormone called progestin used to prevent premature labor. Premature labor can start before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy and can be caused due to premature rupture of membranes, high blood pressure during pregnancy (pre-eclampsia), and poor diet. A miscarriage is an unexpected loss of pregnancy before 20 weeks of pregnancy. It mostly happens during the first trimester, or the first three months, of the pregnancy.
Allylestrenol Tablets contain “Allylestrenol” a progestin (female hormones) that works by modulating the immune response of the pregnant women to prevent rejection of the embryo and allow its attachment to the uterus and improve blood flow to the placenta. It prevents repeated miscarriage (pregnancy loss) and helps lower the risk of premature birth in pregnant women who have had a past premature delivery.
- It works by modulating the immune response of pregnant women to prevent rejection of the embryo and allow its attachment to the uterus and improve blood flow to the placenta.
- It also relaxes uterus muscles, thereby preventing premature labor.
- It prevents repeated miscarriage and helps lower the risk of premature birth in pregnant women who have had a past premature delivery.
- Also, it is used to treat intrauterine growth retardation (unborn baby is not growing at a normal rate), amenorrhoea (absence of menstrual periods due to lack of progesterone), irregular menses cycle, and premenstrual syndrome (symptoms include mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability and depression that women can experience in the weeks before their menses period).
- Allylestrenol Tablets are effective in the treatment of hot flashes in postmenopausal women and benign prostatic hyperplasia (noncancerous increase in the size of the prostate gland) in men.
Directions For Use
- Take it with or without food as advised by the doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break, crush or chew it.
- Please take this tablet in the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor based on specific medical conditions.
- Keep it away from sunlight.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Take it with caution as it may interact with anti-epilepsy medicines (phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, carbamazepine), medicines used to treat fungal infections (griseofulvin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole).
- Please consult your doctor before using Allylestrenol Tablets during breastfeeding or if you are pregnant women.
- It is not recommended for use in women less than 16 years of age.
- Change in weight
- Unwanted hair growth
- Menstrual disturbances
- Swelling over body
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does this tablet work?
It contains Allylestrenol a progestin (female hormone) that helps in maintaining pregnancy by promoting the attachment of the embryo to the lining of the womb and improving blood flow to the placenta. It also relaxes the uterus muscles thereby preventing premature labor and repeated miscarriage.
Can this medicine help in preventing miscarriage?
Yes, it is used to prevent habitual miscarriage and regular abortion. Your doctor will decide whether you should continue or stop taking this medicine. Do not take medication of your own or self-medicate.
Is this tablet a contraceptive?
No, this composition is not a contraceptive. It should not be used as an effective form of birth control to prevent pregnancy.
Can this medicine cause weight gain?
Yes, it may cause weight gain. It can be due to water retention. If you feel that you are gaining a lot of weight while taking this tablet, please consult your doctor.
For how long should it be taken?
This tablet should be taken in the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
In which conditions should I avoid using it?
You should stop using this medicine and tell a doctor before using it if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), unusual vaginal bleeding, liver disease, liver cancer, jaundice during pregnancy, circulation problems or bleeding problems, stroke, blood clot problems, breast cancer, uterus/cervix/vaginal cancer.