Calcium Carbonate Ip and Vitamin D3 Tablets come under the brand name “CALIZON-D” and are a combination of two drugs, namely: Calcium carbonate (mineral) and vitamin D3. Calcium carbonate is a mineral that is used to prevent or treat a calcium deficiency. It provides essential nutrients to maintain bone formation. Vitamin D3 is primarily used to treat low blood calcium levels.
It effectively treats various conditions in the body like Vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis (weak and brittle bones), latent tetany (a muscle disease with low blood calcium levels), and rickets or osteomalacia (softening or deforming of bones due to lack of calcium). Vitamin D deficiency occurs when your body has low Vitamin D levels and is caused due to inadequate nutrition, intestinal malabsorption, or lack of sunlight exposure.
Medical Benefits of Calcium Carbonate Ip and Vitamin D3 Tablets
- Vitamin D3 helps to maintain blood calcium and phosphorus levels and the mineralization of bone.
- It is used to treat and prevent bone disorders, such as rickets and osteomalacia.
- It aids in calcium absorption enabling bone growth and repair. It further prevents cartilage degeneration.
- Calcium Carbonate is an antacid that works by lowering the amount of acid in the stomach.
- It acts as a phosphate binder and also as a drug chelator in the small intestine.
- It also increases gastrointestinal motility and initiates peristalsis.
Directions For Use
- Take it with food as advised by the doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break, crush or chew it.
- Please take Calcium Carbonate Ip and Vitamin D3 Tablets in the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor based on specific medical conditions.
- Keep it away from sunlight.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- This medicine should be used in children only if recommended by a doctor.
- Calcium Carbonate Ip and Vitamin D3 Tablets should be used with caution, especially if you have a history of Kidney/ Liver diseases. The dose may be adjusted by your doctor as required.
- This medicine is excreted in human milk. Therefore, please consult a doctor if you are breastfeeding/pregnant.
- Avoid spinach, rhubarb, bran, and whole grains with this tablet as they may reduce the absorption of calcium.
- Dry mouth
- Stomach Upset
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does Vitamin D3 work?
Vitamin D3 is a dietary supplement that consists of Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol). It helps maintain blood calcium and phosphorus levels and the mineralization of bone. When you don’t get enough Vitamin D from food sources and sunlight exposure, VITAMIN D3 helps replenish those low levels.
What happens if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and follow your usual dosage.
Is it good to take calcium carbonate Ip daily?
Dietary calcium is considered safe, but too much calcium in the form of supplements might have some health risks. Too much calcium has the potential to increase the risk of kidney stones, constipation, or even calcium buildup in your blood vessels, along with difficulty absorbing iron and zinc.